Friday, July 9, 2010

Geoemtric Knitting II ... somewhat belatedly

Hi folks, I've just realised how long it's been since I've posted anything here, and I have a whole bunch of stuff waiting!

A few weeks (well, months) ago, I gave a talk in our PG Colloquium series on the subject of geometry and knitting. The idea was to show off a few mathematical knitting projects I've been playing with, and use them to illustrate some maths.
I'll write about the projects individually later, but in the meantime you can read the slides here:
Slides (pdf)

A couple of the projects used computer programs to calculate the patterns, based on inputted parameters. These programs are written in Ruby, and if you'd like to give them a try they can be found here:
Universal cover scarf
Cellular automata shawl
Hopefully their operation should be pretty clear, and is explained in more detail in the slides. If anyone's interested in knitting from these I'd be delighted to give some tips!

Also, thanks again to my Glamorous Assistant Pamela!

Also also, the Juliana hearts project is still ongoing, and open to all, so if I can send you one let me know. (Hmm, have I really not posted about that here before? More on that to follow then.)

Happy knitting, and more posts soon,
Hugh.