Thursday, October 21, 2010

Feathery shawl

Hey folks.
So, I've been playing with lace shawls! I've been playing around with the Floe shawl as a basis for more complicated lacy designs. I'm planning to make a couple of these, so hopefully this'll be just the first.
The aim was to look like a feathery layered look, with the overlays getting shorter and shorter towards the edge, and representing a bird's wings.
The pattern is really quite simple -- the lace itself is just a K2tog, YO, K1, YO, SKP, and the 'breaks' are achieved by just offsetting this by a couple of stitches. I wasn't sure if this would make the distinction clear enough, until I blocked it and pinned it out (although come to think of it I'm not sure if this yarn will actually block?), so I'm very happy with how it turned out. If I did again though, I would have used a slightly larger repeat so that the offsets are clearer, and more regular.

The shawl has adopted itself a friendly Canadian, as you can see here. Yay!

Hugh.